It has been three years. Three very long years ago, Dean and
I agreed to move to Cambridge, Minnesota. His new career with Schlagel's here
has been everything and more that he had hoped it would be. It's a perfect fit.
I knew that would be the case when I sat in his interview. Very little else
here is what I would call a "perfect" fit. I wrestle every single day
with being here. At times I simply hate it, and hate is not too strong of a
word. I feel as if I'm in a cage of loneliness and distance from all I love and
hold sacred. I did not want to come here but I could not stand in the way of my
husband's work. One of us has to make good money and his earning potential has
always been greater than my own. So, I wrestle. Every single day, to some
degree I wrestle with what it means to be living here.
Today, we visited a class at Common Ground: A Methodist
Community. We've been there a few times before and the format of the class has
been very interesting. A man with a seminary degree leads us in a discussion through
portions of the Bible where Jesus is to be talking to his disciples, sending
them out. Parallel passages are compared one to another and scholarship is
added to validate whether or not Jesus "could" have said this or
that. All of those scholarly voices overwhelm me and I find myself saying, for
Pete's sake, we really have to dissect this thing that much to figure out what
it means to us today?
The class discusses Jesus' instructions to the twelve...what
does this mean? Person after person shares their two cents and says something
to the effect of, "I think it means..." A passage is reached that tells about going
without anything...,"no gold, silver, copper...no bag for the journey, no
extra tunic, or sandals or staff, for the worker deserves his provisions".
Several say that they shouldn't have money, they shouldn't have extra clothes
etc. and all I hear is the cries in my life of days gone by when I was
struggling in the midst of my hard working and wealthier family, barely able to
by a new shirt. The days when my faith community wanted my "all" and
I wanted them to have it based on these verses or others like them. I remember
giving and giving, time, energy, money and all for the "Kingdom". It
brought me to days of so much pain in my body that I could hardly move but also
days when I did move and move and move. Days when pleasing anyone was such a
big mistake that I lost myself. The road back was hard. It is hard again and I
don't like that.
I came here and found myself in a job that was more difficult
than any I had ever imagined. Hannah
regressed, progressed and regressed again in cycles until she left us. She
left after our family vacation. She left in dysfunction, delusion and naiveté.
She left with arrogant confidence empowered only by her desire to avoid reality
and return to something solid in Utah. I envied her. I envied her freedom to go
and knowingly hurt us. I hated her for hurting us so deeply, so punishingly, so
brutally. I was so alone when she left. I was her mother but no more important
than a bug on the floor. I felt hated by her. No, I knew I was hated by her,
despised by her in ways I could never begin to influence. I was abandoned and
discarded like an old sock. I was excruciatingly alone.
I went to the hospital for some relief from the intense
reflux and in the midst of a very stressful couple of months of painful work
with one particular student. I gave it all, every day, every night and even on
the weekends. It was not enough. I hoped the ten days off for surgery would
give me a rebound of strength and energy. Ten days turned into almost 4 months
and instead of gaining anything, I went into an abyss of confusion and pain.
Alone.
I don't want to be here. I want to go home to 5 Teal Loop. I
cannot believe how strong and passionate my desire is to leave here, to escape
the Bible Banter and live again. Bible Banter is what our church's class is
called. I don't like Minnesota and the anger that seems to live here. It is
supposed to be a "nice" place but to me it is an angry place. A controlling
place. A hard place.
I am grateful to my parents for supporting our move. We are
financially more stable than ever. I'm going to get a fireplace. Spring is
coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment